A. T. Stewart's Dry Goods Store, 1851. Collection New-York Historical Society.
A. T. Stewart's Dry Goods Store
In 1846, Irish immigrant A.T. Stewart opened his showplace Broadway store - dubbed the "marble palace" for its singular façade. It catered to middle and upper class women; one shawl carried a $2,000 price tag. During the Civil War, Stewart's business boomed, partly because of contracts for soldiers' uniforms, and partly because of a tariff on foreign-made garments. An even larger store, with an iron façade, was opened in 1862. A. T. Stewart became the city's richest resident, and his store made nearly $2 million annually during the war.